Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Narrative brainstorm


The moment the doctor called me to tell me to have surgery

I remember I was lying on the couch it seemed like a million thoughts were going through my head but at the same time my head was empty. I felt scared but not a regular scared feeling you get when watching a scary movie or going to a haunted house it was the kind of scared feeling you get when you know something is terribly wrong the feeling you get when you know your life is going to change. I was checking my phone every thirty seconds I was anxious for it to ring but at the same time I was dreading it, I was waiting for a phone call from my doctor. After what seemed like an eternity of waiting it finally rang I answered it so fast I almost dropped it, I remember the doctors voice it was stern and somewhat cold as if all the emotion had been sucked out of him. I answered with “hello” he identified who he was and that he had the results of my tests the next words he spoke will forever be etched in my mind, “Mr. Esparza the results show that you have gall stones “my heart sank, “I don’t mean to scare you but you have to drop what you’re doing and get to a hospital immediately and have emergency surgery, if you don’t have these gall stones removed they can kill you.” I felt numb I felt no emotion at all I remember thanking him for the information and hanging up, I took a seat on the couch and just sat there the idea of me dying is indescribable. I really don’t remember how long I sat there but I remember streams of tears rolling down my face I had no control over my emotions all I could do was cry out of fear. Finally after my eyes were red and swollen I pulled myself together I knew I had to be strong I knew I would get through this and be stronger at the end. I called my dad to let him know the news it seemed as if he already knew what I was going to say he assured me things would be fine and we would go to the hospital just hearing him be strong gave me strength. After hanging up with him I called one other person, my girlfriend, I told her what the doctor had told me, she spoke with a certain warmth to her words that comforted me as if being wrapped in a warm blanket, she told me things would be ok and that she loved me and was on her way over. I had my gall bladder removed and spent three days in the hospital after the whole ordeal was over I can look back now and see strengths that I never thought I had I can see how this changed me and will affect me for the rest of my life. I don’t regret going through this it just made me a stronger person in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment